Friday, April 15, 2011

The Throne of God

      (From the book of Revelation 4:5-11 and the book of Ezekiel 1:4-28)  Storm winds whip through dark, ominous, billowing clouds, illuminated by brilliant flashes of lightning, and resonating with monstrous, ear-splitting cracks of thunder.
      At the center sits a magnificent throne glowing with fire and blinding light and flashes of lightning.  Creatures with many eyes and faces and wheels and wings surround the throne.  Seven lamp stands burning with fire are darting among the creatures.
      Twenty-four elders sit on twenty-four lesser thrones, bedecked in white robes and crowns, circled around the throne.  A rainbow of glowing colors hangs about the throne and reaches into the storm cloud.  A luminous sea of crystal fills the expanse below.  And all around, angels; myriads and myriads of angelic beings fill the heavens.  Thrilling, lofty melodies permeate everywhere and everything. 
      But on the throne, high and lifted up, a figure of a man, radiant, glowing with fire, alight with the shimmer of precious stones, His chest a gleaming breast plate,  and His hair white as wool.  And around Him, the elders, the creatures, the angels constantly fall down in worship.
       So holy, so royal, so magnificent, so untouchable.
       And yet, in the book of Hebrews 4:14 - "Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the Throne of Grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
       In totters Roxanne.  I am so glad to have been invited to the party.  I am ecstatic!  I prance around the elders and maybe twirl to see if my new white robe has any volume.  I munch on my cookie - of course God has served refreshments - and it is divine!  
       The elders are friendly and I chat with a number of them.  The angels are gigantic and their wings make the sound of rushing water, but still, they take time to answer my questions.
       I help myself to another cookie while admiring the creatures with many faces and wheels and wings.  "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty."  Their praise is continual.
       Below my feet a spectacular expanse of shining crystal reflects my image.  "Look.  The mark, the 'taw', on my forehead!"  I push my hair behind my ears and look closer.  I love it here!
       I settle my attention on my King, my Papa, who is so regal on His magnificent, expansive throne.  Light emanates from Him from every angle and flashes above Him.  The sparkle of precious gems dance continuously.  He is intoxicating!  He smiles at me.
      I fall to my knees and bow my head.  "Who am I that You even allow me to approach You?"  And yet He does.  I am welcome here.  Even with cookie crumbs on my face - I am welcome here.  And more than welcome, I am loved.
      I get to my feet and spin a number of circles in pure joy.  My lovely gown of white billows around my legs.  I want to stay here forever!
      But then I notice an open door with an exit sign.  I stop dancing and look to my Papa with question.
      "It's not you time yet," He says.  His voice is low and gentle.
       I really, REALLY, do not want to leave here.
       "You have to share ME with your neighbors."
       I'd rather stay.  Besides, what do I have to share that anyone would want to hear?
       "You have seen and heard and tasted.  Tell them about that."
       So, my dear friends, please listen with both ears:  There is a MOST WONDERFUL party awaiting us all, but you can get in only by invitation.  And here it is:
       John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whosoever believes in Him, shall not perish but have everlasting life."
       Jeremiah 31:3b -.....I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have drawn you with loving kindness."
       Romans 3:23 - (But) all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
       Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
       Hebrews 9:22b - ....all things are cleansed with blood and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. 
      1 Corinthians 15:3-4 - ....Christ died for our sins...He was buried...and He rose again on the third day, according to the Scriptures.
      John 1:12 - But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, all those who believe in His name.
      1 John 5:13 -.....you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.
       Now, please excuse me.  I have to practice my dancing.  I have some big celebrating just around the corner. 

1 comment: